Friday, June 21, 2013

Some Hoosier Beers

Alright people,

It's Friday, and if you're like me, that means it's beer thirty. I'm going to have a beer then go golfing. But first, you all get to read about that beer.

We'll start with a new take on a beer that has a rich history in Indiana. Upland recently released Champagne Velvet; a pre-prohibition style pilsner that can draw it's origin story back to the Terre Haute Brewing Company. Apparently, this was a huge beer locally in Terre Haute, and Indiana, in the past, and Upland paid tribute to that on their 15th anniversary.


First off, yes, I know I don't have proper beer glassware, but that happens when you don't bring glasses to your girlfriend's place. All in all, this beer was pretty much what I expected it to be. In short, it is a light beer that almost has a malt liquor taste to it. The beer has a dull bitterness in the beginning, but moves toward more of a lightly sweet, grainy flavor. Basically, this is a craft brewery take on an easy drinking, light beer. Check out my full review here.


And  today we have a beer that I randomly stumbled upon, but has been on my watch list for a little while; Three Floyds Apocalypse Cow. This is an imperial IPA brewed with lactose milk sugar. This bee is a pretty complex IPA, starting fairly bitter and then moving into a sweeter, maltier brew. The lactose sugar really comes through at the end of the drink, leaving a sweet flavor on your lips. Being a Three Floyds beer, everyone knows this will be over-hopped, and this one doesn't disappoint. The beginning of this beer is as bitter as you would expect, but the move to sweetness towards the end makes this beer really complex and unique. Full review here. And last but not least, this beer has a really cool label. Also, you can buy an even better poster of this label...see below.


Well, for me, it's off to the golf course to work on my game. I'm hoping to get another post up this weekend, mainly about fruit beers. We have blackberry, blueberry, and a cucumber beer, and maybe even a La Folie on tap. Until next time, cheers!
-Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment