Sunday, January 27, 2013

Weekend Roundup

Alright people,

Sorry for not getting an update on here sooner. I meant to get a post up Friday, but one thing led to another and here we are....

I was in Indianapolis visiting the girlfriend this weekend, so that meant that the plan was to taste and review another of New Glarus' fruit beer offerings. Well, instead of cooking dinner Friday, a Little Caesar's $5 pepperoni pizza and chips and queso from Qdoba sounded better. And less labor intensive. So that happened, and drinking beer just never really materialized.

Fast forward to Saturday. I'd been battling a cough all week, but thankfully, it was just a dry cough. Not anymore. Saturday morning it felt like I was trying to swallow a mouthful of nails when I swallowed, so the morning was devoted to getting and taking medicine, but also working out because I had already taken Friday off of that.

Anyway, that afternoon, we ventured down to Broad Ripple to experience 20 Tap for the first time. 20 Tap is a beer bar, that ironically now sports 38 taps. I was fairly excited to go because they had Founders' BOlt Cutter on tap. Many of you may recall that I own a bottle of Bolt Cutter, and you would be correct. This trip was mainly to test it and see if it needed aging or not.


It wasn't bad, and having not experimented much with long term aging, I think I'll let this one sit for another year. It wasn't overly hot for 15% ABV, and surprisingly, hardly any alcohol was detectable. It was pretty spicy from the oak aging, but also some sweetness from the malts and maple-barrel aging. We'll revisit this one in the future.

While we were at the bar, we figured we'd take advantage of the chance to introduce my lady friend to a few new beers. She likes wheat beers (ie Blue Moon, Shocktop, etc) but this seemed a good time to get her into some possible new styles.

We did have some luck. Great Divide's new tripel, Orabelle, was on tap, and definitely displayed lots of traditional wheat beer aspect with a good dose of clove and coriander. Along with the tripel, she enjoyed a hefeweizen from Bluegrass Brewing. It was pretty much a run of the mill hefe, but it still surprised me a little because it had some traditional hefe bite on the end. Maybe this is the start of her liking more traditional German beers!

Anyway, it was a fairly fun weekend. Some good beer, some cheap (and in my opinion, delicious) food, and we threw a movie in there Saturday night too. I'll be back this week with a post about something more beer or food-centric. My buddy Brandon might be up this weekend, so maybe we'll breakout a little bit bigger of a beer. Until next time, cheers!

-Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment