Wednesday, February 20, 2013

I Plead the Fifth!

Alright people,

First off, no, I didn't get arrested and need to plea the 5th in court. Sorry to those of you who were looking for that. But I did manage to pick up 2 of Dark Horse's Plead the Fifth Imperial Stout this past weekend, and that is a reason to celebrate.

This beer has been sort of under the radar for me. Dark Horse is in such limited supply around here that I figured I wouldn't have the chance to get any. Then this past Saturday, a tweet from my beer store said they had all 5 of the Dark Horse Stout offerings. I wasted no time in going there to grab the limit of 2 of these bad boys. Now let's get to the beer.

Starting off, this one poured as thick as I have ever seen a beer pour. It literally looked like I was pouring used motor oil into my snifter. Anyway, other than the overall thickness of this one, the huge, dark malty scent also hit me right off the bat. One of the strongest smelling beers I've had, this one sought to destroy your nostrils with coffee, chocolate, and big, roasted malt flavors. At first taste, I was almost instantly reminded of Stone's Imperial Russian Stout. That is probably my favorite, non-barrel aged stouts, and this one compares well. Flavor profile was very similar to its strong smell. Also, this beer is 12% ABV, but it really doesn't show it except for a slight warming sensation as it goes down. Anyway, here's the full review. I recommend trying this ASAP if you can find some.


In other news, if you notice Mr. Gnomes longing for a sip of beer, I'm less than 3 weeks away from being in Arizona for the Reds spring training. I believe there are only 2 days until the first game this spring, and frankly, I can't wait for baseball to be back. It means warm weather, sunny days on the ball field, and nights under the lights watching some great baseball. I love college basketball and March Madness, but nothing really fills the sports void like some good old hardball.

Well, that's it for tonight. Look for my next post this weekend. Probably get back around to talking about a New Glarus fruit beer. Until next time, cheers!

-Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment