Saturday, August 17, 2013

What the hell is a WOOTstout?

Alright people,

Once again, it's been a while since my last post, but I'm over apologizing for it. If you're reading this, then it's obvious that you are loyal enough not to give a damn. Anyway, on to the beer of the night, Stone Brewing's Stone Farking Wheaton WOOTstout.

This beer has bee getting a lot of buzz around the online beer community, I think mainly because it's a stout, it's been barrel aged (partially), and it's made by Stone, meaning it gets shipped everywhere. Like any other Stone beer, I had to read about a half a book on the back of the bottle to find out the story on the beer. Turns out Wil Wheaton is a beer geek, and he just happens to know Greg Koch over at Stone Brewing because of this. In addition, some guy who runs some website called fark.com is a beer geek too. His name is Drew Curtis. Anyway, these guys all got together and made a beer.

Way too nice out to drink inside
Here's the deal with this beer; it's a stout, made with rye and wheat, with pecans added during brewing, and 25% of it aged is whiskey barrels. Frankly, the partial barrel aging is a trend I like to see, because it cuts down on the severity of the barrel flavors. Back to the beer and its use of interesting grains, this beer definitely displays a unique flavor profile that is unlike almost any other stout. I have a hard time describing it, but I assume that the wheat and rye mixing with super dark malt flavors produces it. The really great part of this beer's flavor is the partial barrel aging like I mentioned earlier. The lingering taste is almost all barrel, but in a balanced, not overpowering way.

All in all, this is a pretty good imperial stout that just also happens to be barrel aged (partially) and sells at a good price. Those facts alone make this a beer that is flying off the shelf. That being said, I've seen plenty of it around, and it is totally worth grabbing a bottle. Check out my full review here.

On a title-related note, I still have no idea what a WOOTstout is. Apparently, Wheaton does something in his life that involves the four letters WOOT. Hell if I know. He's fairly big in the sci-fi world, and that's a side of the internet that I don't enjoy venturing into. Until next time, go Reds! And cheers!
-Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment