Sunday, July 28, 2013

Anchor and This Week

Alright people,

Well, it's been a few days since I've written here, I guess the second week of work got to me. Anyway, last weekend I was able to grab a 6-pack of 6 different Anchor beers. I've already had their flagship Steam Beer, so I grabbed 6 others. Today we'll be talking about Liberty Ale, Porter, California Lager, and Brekle's Brown.


Let's start out with the Liberty Ale. First off, this is an IPA, but I grabbed one bottled in February, so it probably wasn't the freshest. For an IPA, or even a pale ale, this was rather light in the hops bitterness category. The body wasn't too bad, high in carbonation, yet lighter across the palate. The pour and scent of this one really outperformed the taste. Not a bad beer persay, probably much better when it is fresh. Check out the full review here.


Next up, Anchor Porter. This one starts off looking great, and interestingly enough, smelling more like a bock or a bark Belgian beer than a porter. Lighter in the roasted malts than most, the scent and the taste have more of a dark fruit flavor going on. For a porter, this is rather light feeling on the tongue. Smooth and easy to drink, this is another solid offering from Anchor. Check out my full review here.


Betting third in the Anchor lineup is their California Lager. This was a rather simplistic beer. To me, this is the craft version of a Budweiser. On the light side of scent and flavor, crisp and clean flavors on the tongue, and a simple, yet refreshing flavor profile. This lager was somewhat grainy in flavor, leaving impressions of corn and grassy flavors. Very easy to drink, and quite smooth, check out the full review here.


Last up for this post, we have Anchor's Brekle's Brown Ale. This beer pays homage to one of the first brewers at Anchor, and is touted as an all malt, single hopped brown ale, with the single hop being the citra hop. Good looking pour in the glass, but the scent and taste of this beer is unique. There are definitely dominant notes of the citra hop bitterness in both the smell and taste. If I had to define this beer, I'd say it's a brown IPA, because it displays roasted malts and hops bitterness. Check out my full review here.

Well, that's that people. This week is St. Louis Craft Beer Week, and I'm going to try to hit up an event or two. Last year, this was a great chance to get some limited and rare beers at local bars, and I'm hoping this year will be the same. I'll be sure to take some good notes on new beers I try and report back to you, my loyal 26 readers. Until next time, cheers!
-Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment