Monday, January 28, 2013

It's About Time...

Alright people,

It's about time for a couple of things on here. First, it's about time I make a post about food like I've been bragging about.

Anyone who knows me personally knows that I like to cook; and most of them know that I have a pretty healthy opinion about my own culinary abilities. For years I've been telling my mom that I am the best cook in the house, so get out of my kitchen. I know, I'm kind of a jerk. Oh well. She gets to eat the glorious dishes I prepare so she wins twice. She has also had to endure my taunting that I have an "advanced foods degree" even though that literally only means that I took a second semester of foods in high school. Anyway, let's get cooking. (corny pun is of course intended)

Tonight, I'm preparing what has become a signature dinner of mine over the past year; a chicken quesadilla. Shortly after experiencing Mexican food for the first few times (mainly encouraged/forced by the girlfriend), I realized that, "Hey, I can make this stuff." And that was it.



That's the final result. I know it's not really much to look at, but it tastes pretty good, and any moron can make it. First, you have to have some chicken. I prefer some form of boneless, skinless chicken breast prepared in a skillet. I call it dry frying, but it's basically just grilling without the grill. Just spray the pan with some non-stick spray, season with whatever you want (salt, pepper, red pepper, whatever), and cook it on medium heat. It'll get done in about 10 minutes, and is pretty delicious even by itself.

Then all you have to do is get some cheese and a tortilla. Let the skillet cool a bit, put a very light coat of non-stick spray in again, and throw in the tortilla. Fill half of it with cheese of your choice, I use whatever generic brand of "Mexican Blend" cheese I have, as well as the chicken. Stuff it as full (or not) as you want, fold that puppy and let it brown. You can barely warm it until the cheese melts or burn the hell out of it, whatever your taste. Do that to both sides, scoop it out of the pan, and eat that thing.

Now on to the other thing I've been meaning to do, review 3 Floyds Gumballhead beer. I've had it I don't know how many times, but never taken the time to review, so here ya go.


This beer has been hyped up, at least by local drinkers, for a long time. And after having tasted and reviewed it, I can see why. In my opinion, this beer has massive appeal because it's something that people don't get in a beer everyday. Being a wheat beer, Gumballhead attracts the less seasoned of the beer crowd, while still retaining veteran hop heads with a healthy dose hops bitterness. It starts with a fantastic pour; great head retention and lacing in a beautiful, deep golden beer.

The scent of this beer boasts a moderate, but still prominent, hop profile. Mix that flavor with the light, grainy flavors of the wheat, and the taste of this beer is extremely balanced. Between the smooth feel, the hops bitterness, and the appeal of the wheat flavors, this beer has something for nearly every beer drinker. I recommend pretty much anyone who likes beer go and try this one, that is if you can find it. Gumballhead seems to fly off the shelves in Indiana just about as fast as it comes in. (Full review here.)

Anyway, I think that clears my immediate slate of topics and beers that are well overdue to be blogged about. Right now, I'm currently in the process of drinking down my current beer stock. I've piled up a mini-cellar here at school, and need to get to reviewing all the new beers in it. Look for some of those to come. Until next time, cheers!

-Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment