Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Mid-Week Update

Alright people,

It's a Wednesday and I don't have a lot to do, so it's beer blogging time. Tonight, we're taking a look at a beer I've passed up a bunch of times, but finally decided to pick up at the liquor store; Boulevard's Dark Truth Stout.


Boulevard is one of those breweries that I've never had a real thing for, but then again, I've only have a few of their beers. Love Child #2 was pretty good, but other than that, I've only had their wheat, which is pretty standard. Anyway, this stout is touted on the label as a beer with "roasted English malts" and Belgian yeast. Having not had a Belgian stout (at least in recent memory), here we go!

This stout starts off with an alluring scent of mostly chocolate and coffee notes, providing a balanced, bitter and somewhat sweet profile. At first sip, this one is just the same as its smell, but things quickly change after that. The Belgian yeast provides a dark fruit flavor profile that is promised on the label. Normally, I don't go for that quality in a stout, but this is different. The fruit flavor profile isn't overpowering, and instead of progressing into an anise flavor, it stays steady with a plum-like flavor. It's interesting to say the least. This beer ends with a slight roasted malt and coffee bitterness. On the whole, this is a good beer that I probably shouldn't have passed up so many times before at the store. Here's the full review.


In other news, you may have notices Gnomes the Reds Gnome peeking into the corner of the picture. Only 26 (or 27) more days until pitchers and catchers report to spring training. I'm especially excited for this year's training because I'll actually be there for the first time in about 8 years!

Also, I'm starting to open this blog up to a few more things in the future. You guys may have seen that I've included cooking posts before, and I'm hoping to include more in the future. Also, I've discovered some wines that I like, so I may include some wine-centric posts in the future too. Any suggestions for food dishes or wines I may like are welcome and encouraged! As always, feel free to suggest or chime in with any thoughts to improve the blog. Until next time, cheers!

-Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment